Friday, May 13, 2011

Welcome to my entry for Blogger's Quilt Festival!

Welcome to quilthexle's world! Glad you're visiting ;-)) When you dropped by from Amy's Creative Side for my festival entry - thanks for taking the time to explore my entry. And when you're a regular visitor - thanks for reading my blog !!
Today I show you the No 1 of a series-to-be (No 2 is in the making ... so I think that to-be-series will become a series!). "The occasional glimpse of orange" started with a piece of fabric I dyed myself - and for a long time, I was afraid of cutting into it. Till I thought - use it! It's the dark green fabric with the purple stains in the second picture.
Working on this quilt was a lot of fun. I just went with the flow ... sometimes I just did not get where it wanted to go, so my seam ripper and me became very good friends ;-)) 
Do you wonder how "And the occasional glimpse of orange" got its name? Eventually I added some curved stripes, one was orange (the detail shot is the third picture). It was way too large, so I reached for my seam ripper ... and thought, if I just sew it skinnier? I tried it - and liked it, so I added some more glimpses of orange, and the quilt got its name ;-))
This detail shot shows also a bit of the quilting - which was done the same way I did the piecing. Step by step, I made up my mind on the go. Till I was happy with it (and yes, I ripped some quilting out ... till I was happy with it!). The last step was the black-and-white binding - and I just have to admit, I really love this quilt. And I can't wait to finish the second one!
When you want to read more about this quilt, you'll find all the blogposts about it via the tag "UFO" (listed at the end of this post). The tag "Occasional 2" takes you to the posts about No 2.


Again, thank you so much for visiting my blog - and don't forget to check out all the other lovely quilts at Blogger's Quilt Festival! A special "THANK YOU!" to Amy for hosting this great event twice a year - I'm always looking forward to it, and I so enjoy it, every time.

25 comments:

Cecily said...

It's beautiful!! I love your art quilts.

Sabine said...

Huhu,

immer wieder schön, der Orange.

Stray Stitches said...

Your art quilt is amazing! Love all the colors!

Vicki W said...

That is a fabulous quilt!

Lynn said...

Very nice! I love the improvisational style.

Spontaneous Threads said...

gorgeous!

RobynK said...

I can 'see' things in this quilt!
The top left piece/block appears to be a stable or cowshed with a tin roof and a red door that has a check pattern on it. Bottom right corner reminds me of an aerial view of a farm with natural hills/valleys and cultivated paddocks.
That's what an art quilt is for isn't it...to inspire your senses? I think you've succeeded in this quite well :D! I love it.

Linda at Roscoe's Ma said...

Oh my. This quilt is so, so beautiful! I love this.

Corinnea said...

I'm sorry I've been out of the picture lately... I finally had time to sit and read your A-Z posts. As usual, you quilts are gorgeous and inspiring and the information you give very useful! Thank you for sharing so much!

missknitta.com said...

I really appreciate your description of your process, and especially the parts about your seam ripper! It helps us newer quilters know that it's okay not to get it perfect, and to be okay with the journey. Thank you for sharing!

Teje said...

Wonderful quilt! I love the way how it is 'unregular' and the colours are beautiful!

Eileen said...

Wonderful and always inspired by your work! Thanks for sharing and have a great day

stitchinpenny said...

What amazing technique. I love the black and white pieces with curves.

Karen said...

Your quilt is wonderful. I love the way you have played with colour and texture. There is so much detail to see. Good luck with the next one!

Melinda said...

Beautiful quilt!

Marci Girl said...

Beautiful quilt! Such pretty work, and I love all the bright colors!

diane said...

this is stunning! So creative and love the colors.

Janet said...

Fabulous! I love the scrappy look. This looks like it is a full size quilt - is it?

Madalene Murphy said...

Love this quilt! Your eye just keeps moving around, discovering new bits of color and shape. I particularly like the block in the middle left that seems to provide a balance with that slanted line.

Sarcastic Quilter said...

You certainly have a great creative eye!

qusic said...

alle Achtung, was für ein toller Quilt, da bin ich froh, dass ich vorbeigeschaut habe!

Jane said...

Oh my, what amazing work! Fabulous!

Hollie said...

Love the curved stripes!

MariQuilts said...

Amazing quilt...so unique.

CHRIS said...

Great quilt love your design and colour choices. Happy stitching chris.